First established in 2006, one of the Special Works of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul – Detroit (SVdP) has been to provide Energy Assistance to those living in poverty, senior citizens, individuals with disabilities as well as others who may be in danger of having their electric/heating services discontinued. With funds from the Michigan Public Service Commission and THAW,the Society and our numerous partnering agencies have been able to extend help to thousands of households all over Michigan.
If you are in need of energy assistance please use the checklist below to see if you qualify for our program:
- There MUST be some type of income in the household to be eligible (Food stamps are considered income).
- Your total gross income of your household MUST be at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (see table below)
2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines
150 Percent of Poverty – Annual Gross Income
1-Person Household - $17,235
2-Person Household - $23,265
3-Person Household - $29,295
4-Person Household - $35,325
5-Person Household - $41,355
6-Person Household - $47,385
7-Person Household - $53,415
8-Person Household - $59,445
- Your bill MUST be between $250 - $3500 for a combined gas/electric account or $200 - $2000 for a single utility.
- You MUST have a valid photo MI license or state ID that matches your current address (cannot be PO box)
- The name and address on your utility bill MUST match the name and address on your ID (cannot be PO box)
- You have made payments in the past 6 months totaling $225 for a single utility or $450 for a combined gas/electric (Payments must have been made by you, Department of Human Services (DHS) or other agencies do not count)
- If you have received assistance from another agency in the past 12 months (other than DHS or SVdP-Detroit) you may still be eligible depending on the amount received.
- You are willing to work on moving towards self-sufficiency.
If you meet ALL of the above you may be eligible. Please call 313-393-2930 and follow the prompts to locate the nearest St. Vincent de Paul Conference. This group will assist with your application.
At the time of the application you will be asked to provide the following documents:
- Copy of your valid photo MI license or State ID (see requirements listed above)
- Copy of proof of income for all members of the household
- Copy of your current utility bill and shut off notice (if applicable). A shut-off notice is not required.
- Copy of DHS decision notice (SER) (if applicable)
SVdP MEAP Press Release
More resources of assistance available on:
Coalition to Keep Michigan Warm
You and Your Money
Our partners are:
Michigan Public Service Department